Functional Rhinoplasty in McAllen, TX
Dr. Carlos Ayala is double board certified in otolaryngology and facial plastic surgery and offers functional rhinoplasty (nasal reconstruction) for men and women in McAllen, the Rio Grande Valley, Mission, and the surrounding areas of Texas.
What is Functional Rhinoplasty?Rhinoplasty is a type of surgery for the nose and is classified as cosmetic or functional.
- Cosmetic rhinoplasty improves the shape and size of the nose for aesthetic reasons
- Functional rhinoplasty addresses issues with the nose structures to help you breathe easier and reduce any nasal symptoms
What is Nasal Reconstruction?Nasal reconstruction is a type of functional rhinoplasty that reconstructs the structures inside the nose. This type of surgery may be recommended after trauma, cancer treatment and other situations that damage the interior of the nose.
What Are the Benefits of Nasal Reconstruction?
- Improves breathing
- May reduce sinus issues, such as congestion and discharge
- Helps with snoring and difficulty sleeping (deviated septum)
Who is a Good Candidate for Functional Rhinoplasty?You may be a good candidate for functional rhinoplasty if you experience:
- Blockages due to enlarged turbinates
- Functional issues linked to previous cosmetic rhinoplasty
- Deviated septum
- Trauma to the nose that damages the interior structures
- Chronic sinus congestion related to allergies
What Should I Expect from Nasal Reconstruction?Dr. Ayala explains the expected outcomes of your nasal reconstruction during the consultation. In general, functional rhinoplasty results in:
- Easier breathing
- Better sleep
- Fewer and less severe allergy symptoms
- Bruising or facial swelling
- Septal perforation
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak